Full details on where and when to see it, street closures
According to the LAPD, the best locations for viewing the shuttle will be during a planned celebration at the Inglewood Forum parking lot, at the intersection of Crenshaw Blvd. and Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaze and during a transition period at Bill Robertson Lane at Exposition Park.
Here are the details of Endeavour’s route, though the times are only an approximation, according to the LAPD.
- The Endeavour leaves the United Airlines hangar at 11:30 p.m. Thursday night, Oct. 11.
- The shuttle heads down LAX Taxiway E17.
- 12:30 a.m. Friday: It then moves down a service road to LAX Gate A1A.
- 2 a.m.: Northside Pkwy. to Lincoln Blvd.
- 2:30 a.m.: S. McConnell Ave. to La Tijera Blvd.
- 3:30 a.m. to 4:15 a.m.: La Tijera Blvd. to Drollinger Parking Lot.
The shuttle then switches transporters from a narrow to a wide configuration.
- 1:30 p.m.: The shuttle exits the parking lot and heads on Sepulveda Eastway to Manchester Blvd.
- 2 p.m.: Manchester Blvd. to Osage Ave.
- 2:45 p.m.: Osage Ave. to S. Glasgow Ave.
- 3:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.: S. Glasgow Ave to La Cienega Blvd.
From 4:15 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., the shuttle will be set on dollies.
- 10 p.m.–10:15 p.m.: The shuttle crosses the Manchester Bridge.
After that, the front end of the orbiter will be placed on SPMTs, or self-propelled modular transporters, which are platform vehicles with giant wheels on the bottom. They’re used to transport very large objects — like a space shuttle. That will take until 11:55 p.m., then from 12:05 a.m. Saturday until 1:30 a.m., the back end will be put on SPMTs.
- S. Ash Ave. to Inglewood Ave.
- Grevillea Ave. to East Hillcrest Blvd.
- 8 a.m.: East Hillcrest Blvd. to South Prairie Ave.
- 9 a.m.: South Prairie Ave. to Crenshaw Dr.
- 10 a.m.: Crenshaw Dr. to Crenshaw Blvd.
- 11 a.m.: Crenshaw Blvd. to W. 79th St.
- 11:30 a.m.: W. 79th St. to West Florence Ave.
- 12 p.m.: W. Florence Ave. to W. Slauson Ave.
- 12:45 p.m.: W. Slauson Ave. to W. Vernon Ave.
- 1:30–2 p.m.: W. Vernon Ave. to MLK
The shuttle transporters will then be shifted back from a wide configuration to a narrow configuration, from 2:30 to 4 p.m.
- 4 p.m.: MLK to Olmsted Ave.
- 5 p.m.: Omsted Ave. to 4th Ave.
- 5:45 p.m.: 4th Ave. to Western Ave.
- 7:15 p.m.: Western Ave. to S. Normandie Ave.
- 8:00 p.m.: S. Normandie Ave. to Bill Robertson Ln.
- 8:30 p.m.: Bill Robertson Ln. to the California Science Center Pavilion Ramp.
The shuttle is scheduled to arrive at 9 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 13.
Friday street closures include:
- Lincoln Boulevard between Sepulveda Boulevard and Manchester Avenue
- Westchester Parkway between Sepulveda Boulevard and Airport Boulevard
- La Tijera between Sepulveda Boulevard Manchester Avenue
- Manchester Avenue between La Tijera Boulevard and Crenshaw Drive (City of Inglewood)
Saturday street closures include:
- Manchester Boulevard between (Inglewood Forum) and Crenshaw Drive
- Crenshaw Drive between Manchester Boulevard and Crenshaw Boulevard
- Crenshaw Boulevard between Manchester Boulevard and Martin Luther King Boulevard
- Martin Luther King Boulevard Between Crenshaw Boulevard Figueroa Avenue